Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Just being nostalgic...

Recently I bought a few of the vintage reproduction Barbies as well as a couple of books on the subject.  One book shows Barbie and her clothes through the years.  The others tell how Barbie influenced us through the years (it is amazing the problems people blame on that little doll!). It is pretty interesting how Barbie changed along with us.  Barbie celebrated 50 years in 2009 - hard to believe as I still remember my first one (probably in 1960, the year after she came out) and the outfits that I had.  One Christmas soon after, I received a wedding dress (not Mattel but one that someone had hand made) from my maternal grandparents while celebrating Christmas at their house.  In all of the commotion, the dress got mixed in with the discarded wrapping paper.  Now, my grandfather was never one to let paper lay on the floor for very long - not when he had a roaring fire in the fireplace.  So in went the dress.  Funny the things you remember from childhood....

1 comment:

  1. I wish that I still had my barbies...but my dog Barney dented the boobs inward and Lori and I cut most of the hair off trying to keep Barbie updated in the seventies from the long straight hair of the sixties to the feathered look;)

    ReplyDelete